Monday, November 19, 2012

Invested


I'm sure I've complained about this before, but my kids don't like to eat. Like every other small person, they will gladly snack on granola bars all day, pick at a healthy dinner then beg for more snacks right before bedtime.
To remedy this, I'm making a greater effort to let the kids be part of the family food decision. I've let Logan pick out vegetables and fruit at the grocery store. He helps put away groceries (when he is in the mood). I've always cooked with the kids, but I'm trying to get them to take an even bigger role. I supervise them as they make their own pizzas and quesedillas. Vivian just figured out that she likes grilled cheese sandwiches. I let her make that too. Last week she said she wanted three types of cheese on her sandwich. Who was I to say know to such a foodie? I dug out three types of cheese from the fridge, and she was super happy to make and eat her sandwich.

 Tonight was a big culinary step forward  (in my eyes), Vivian breaded taliapa for fish and chips. She dipped the fish in egg wash then into bread crumbs and finally onto the baking pan. Her fish was perfectly coated. Yes, I had to shriek, "Don't lick your fingers!" She only tried it once, and she even washed her hands with soap afterwards without being told to do so.
Best of all, as I give the kids more control over what we cook and eat, they eat more. Vivian especially eats more when she is the head chef. Tonight she ate more fish than me!

Vivian says, "I like to taste the stuff when they're getting cooked, like a cake or some bread. I love when you (Mommy) make something for me."

Well said sweet girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment