Sunday, November 18, 2012

If you were here to cook with me

For 6 months I've gathered a couple friends each week to teach them to cook some of my favorite recipes and recipes I've wanted to try. Some of the recipes are family favorites that I grew up eating and cooking, others are from the Internet and TV that I've wanted to try, but most are meals that I've been cooking for my family. I enjoy teaching the ladies how to cook home cooking with a bit less work and a lot of confidence building. I've seen the girls progress from not knowing how to cut an onion to doing happy dances because they look forward to using my super sharp knives. It took a while for me to notice the changes in my friends, but now that I've opened my eyes I see the confidence and joy I've helped them find. Last week I received a text message from one of the girls that said, "My husband said that the Shepard's pie is 'bang worthy.' Thanks!"
I'm tyring to figure out how to turn this into a small business. I'm excited but very scared. I should deal with my fears by crunching some numbers and figuring out a business plan. But the risk....
Anyway.
With Thanksgiving around the corner, I thought I would share some new found favorite side dishes.


“Dirty” Broccoli *easy and yummy enough for Thanksgiving

1 lb fresh broccoli
1 T water
2 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ c. plain breadcrumbs (store bought or pulse a slice of bread in the food processor a few times)
½ t dried oregano
¼ t salt
Pinch of pepper

-Cut broccoli into spears and put in a microwave safe dish with the water. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave for 4 minutes. Drain water from bowl.
-While broccoli is cooking, heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook until you can smell it (1 minute). Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring frequently, until breadcrumbs are toasted, about 2 minutes. Toss breadcrumbs with broccoli and serve.

 
Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
I now crave these potatoes.
2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced in 1 inch cubes
6 T butter
2/3 c buttermilk (room temperature)
Pepper

 -Place potatoes in a large pot. Fill with water so that potatoes are covered by one inch of water. Add 1 T salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. When water starts to simmer, reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are fork tender (18 minutes). Drain.
-Add butter to hot pan. Melt. Add hot potatoes to pan with buttermilk and smash. Add pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment